Thursday, June 25, 2009

Where do we go from here? Whats the plan?

It soon became clear that all hope was not lost and that Goliath had been found very early and if dealt with now the prognosis was cheery indeed. Goliath was staged as 0-1 carcinoma in situ. Surgery was required. I was assured that I didn't need all of my colon and could function quite well with a bowel resection. I am so full of it any way a little less would do me no harm. Goliath was found in my ascending colon very near the junction with my small intestine. It was decided to remove my ascending colon along with my appendix and surrounding regional lymph nodes with the hope that all of Goliath would be removed from my body as well. The procedure would be done laprascopicly This was decided in July ,2007. We now have a plan and I am feeling much better about my future. This little skirmish with Goliath would be a minor one and I would soon be back in the game.






Time to put the plan into action. August 8th.2007.



Surgery was a breeze for me. I sleep through the whole thing. A good thing to because I didn't get much sleep the four day's I was in hospital. I tell you those nurses have it down to a science that every time you drift off you are nudged awake with it's time for your meds or wakie, wakie need to check your blood pressure. Dagnabit lady if you keep waken me up you'll see my blood pressure go through the roof!! I was some what sore to say the least but a small price to pay to to get rid of Goliath. My being released from this captivity all depended on me having a bowel movement. The hospital fare as far as food goes is not that scrumptious and the portions were small for what I ,David the chow hound could put away. I was supposed to produce a BM on a cup of watery cream of wheat, a cup of jello, green no less and a packet of crackers! Ah come on at least let me down a double in and out burger and fries. That 'll do the trick. Oh yea don't forget the shake!!!. Four whole days of pacing the hallways planning my escape. Trying to figure out a way of gettin some good grub past the guards. Think they would notice if my wife brought in a steamin hot platter of enchiladas with verdi sauce and a couple of chervasis? Throw in a few chili peppers and some hot sauce and we will get things moving! In the early hours of day four I had a bowel movement. A very small one but majorly important one. This could grant my release!!! I ran down the hall way to the nurses station, well shuffled more like and announced with great gusto that I had just took a dump! Do you want to come and see! I was like a kid who had done it for the first time and was so proud that I wanted to share my great achievement! I ensured my release by having one more small movement prior to the Dr.'s visit.


I was released after being told that the surgery went well and that all of Goliath had been removed and that 15 surrounding regional lymph nodes were removed as well. The surrounding tissue and the lymph nodes showed negative of any advancement and that Goliath was localized to that one small tumor and he has been eliminated!!! I went home with jubilation!! I was Goliath free and had my whole wonderful life still ahead of me! The relieve was immeasurable. Back home at last and time to heal. I was in very good spirits and healed quickly and back to work in only four weeks. I had a new lease on life and a new attitude. I fully understood how fortunate I was ! It was a life changing experience and I was very grateful to my maker. Time to move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment